The 2018 National Health Data Consultative Committee (HDCC) meeting organized by the Federal Ministry of Health took place on the 3rd and 4th of December 2018 in Abuja.
Introducing the Health Data Analytics Fellowship for Ministries, Departments and Agencies (HDAFMDA); a research fellowship for staff members of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), to improve health data analytics for enhanced decision-making in Nigeria.
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH PLANNING, RESEARCH & STATISTICS (DHPRS)
About the department
The Health Planning, Research & Statistics Department ensures the achievement of the goals and objectives of the National Health Policy.
To serve as the channel through which the Ministry performs its stewardship role and other statutory responsibilities necessary for achieving the goals and objectives of the National Health.
Functions and Objectives
- Development of Plans (Rolling, Medium and Perspective) and Preparation of Budgets.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Programmes, Projects and Plans Implementation.
- Serve as Secretariat to the National Council on Health.
- Conduct research into the sectors over which the Ministry has jurisdiction, in collaboration with other departments and agencies, institutions and parastatals.
- Conduct research into the internal organizational, operational and management modalities of the Ministry.
- Routine collection and processing of Data and Statistics relating to the Ministry and the Health Sector.
- Liaison with relevant bodies outside the Ministry.
- Coordinating, tracking and assessing MDG projects and programmes.
- Planning and coordination of Human Resources for Health development.
- International Health & Resource Mobilization.
- Implementation of World Bank/African Development Bank Health Systems Development Project.
- Coordination of National Health Management Information System.
- Serves as Secretariat of the National Health Research Ethics Committee.
DIRECTOR OF DHPRS
Dr. Chris Osa Isokpunwu
Director, Health Planning, Research & Statistics
Dr. Chris Isokpunwu is a distinguished medical practitioner and public health specialist with over 25 years of dedicated service to the Nigerian healthcare system. He currently serves as the Director of the Department of Health Planning Research and Statistics within the Federal Ministry of Health, where he plays a pivotal role in shaping the future of healthcare in Nigeria.
Dr. Isokpunwu’s illustrious career has seen him take on key leadership positions in the field of public health. Prior to his current role, he served as the Senior Technical Assistant to Nigeria’s Minister of Health, where his expertise and strategic insights greatly contributed to the development and execution of critical healthcare policies and initiatives.
A staunch advocate for the strategic use of data for decision-making, Dr. Isokpunwu brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to his role. His vision is centered on leveraging data-driven solutions to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the Nigerian healthcare system.
Dr. Isokpunwu’s dedication to advancing healthcare in Nigeria, coupled with his extensive experience and expertise, make him a vital asset to the field of public health and a driving force in the pursuit of a healthier and more prosperous Nigeria.